Email firstname.lastname@example.org or any RWC member for information.
THE PEDIATRIC WELLNESS GUIDE
The new R2’s will be assuming responsibility for organizing gatherings. Watch out for an email from them in the next couple of weeks.
The wellness committee and the chiefs have been in communication with the staff involved to try to make sure it is a successful year. Some of the staff may be inviting a second attending to join them as “co-mentors”, so the final list may have some small modifications, but we wanted the residents to be able to get the ball rolling on get-togethers. Also many groups have “alumni” who are still involved…feel free to keep them in the loop as well.
Let myself or the chiefs know if you have any questions or concerns.
Matt (on behalf of the Wellness Posse)
MESSAGE FROM THE WELLNESS COMMITTEE
I wanted to give a little update on the second installment of Ice Cream Rounds:
When: Tuesday, February 4th from 2:30 – 4:00
Where: Resident Lounge
What: Ice Cream Rounds: Round Two
For those of you who weren’t able to join the first session in December, Ice Cream Rounds is a completely confidential, resident-only forum where we can discuss anything (i.e. challenging cases or rotations, experiences with very sick patients, encounters with death, general discussion about how difficult residency can be). It’s a space to vent, talk, share and support each other. You are also welcome to come and just listen. The sessions are facilitated by Rebecca Turnbull, who is the UBC Wellness Counselor with a lot of background experience. This is not mandatory. If it isn’t something you are interested in – you are more than welcome to opt out.
Ice cream sundae bar will be available. If you have topping requests – let me know! We’ve got a budget 🙂
See you Tuesday,
We are very excited to announce that BCCH now has an official Resident Wellness Program, as our proposal for the program was accepted by the RTC at last Tuesday’s meeting! This means there is an official Resident Wellness RTC Subcommittee that will meet quarterly to discuss the implementation of various resident wellness initiatives (see details below).
– Residency is challenging
– Resident well-being is important!
– The RWP strives to foster a sense of community, promote work life balance and provide healthy ways to acknowledge and confront the challenges of residency.
Quick summary of programming ideas so far:
1. Ice Cream Rounds. This has already begun! Our second session is two weeks away: during AHD on Tuesday, February 4th.
2. Academic Half Day sessions with wellness specific themes. Examples include mindfulness teaching and faculty speakers on work-life balance and physician burnout.
3. Wellness focused Journal Club. Stay tuned for a wellness related journal club evening in the next academic year thanks to the initiative of Vikki and Meghan.
4. Run Club. There will be weekly group runs for anyone interested. No prior experience necessary. The hope is that we can participate in charity runs as a residency team once or twice a year. Keep an eye out for an email from Adela about an upcoming run.
5. Massage Therapy Day. Details to come…
6. Resident Clothing. Thanks to Benetta for organizing the vests! Suggestions are welcome for more team clothing ideas.
More details can be found in the attached proposal (BCCH Resident Wellness Committee Proposal). Please feel free to email us if you are interested in getting involved or have ideas to share!
Meg and Caroline